COVID-19 Update: A Message from the Director of IOHS

COVID-19 Update: A Message from the Director of IOHS

by Kellee Trice -
Number of replies: 0

April 21. 2020
IOHS Coronavirus Guidance Update

Dear Students,

I wish to thank you for your patience and flexibility in the rapidly evolving situation surrounding the coronavirus. Early this month you received information on how we believed the school schedule for this coming school year would evolve, some of which I will repeat for reinforcement and/or clarification. Please read this message in its entirety, as some of the information will be new or specific to your student situation.

Please be assured that the IOHS administrative team is aware of the tremendous range of emotional responses and challenges resulting from this situation. The intention of the school is to recognize the importance of the health and well-being of the entire community.

I can assure you that the administration and your program director have spent many hours in with the individual hospitals, accreditation agencies and the US Department of Education to verify and approve the program changes that we have had to make. Faculty and Administrative staff have spent numerous hours to develop and reorganize our curriculum to meet needs of all our accreditors and partners.

As you read this, do not hesitate to let my office know if you have questions, suggestions, etc. Some of the decisions announced here were difficult to make, but they are appropriate and important, given the spread of the virus. Be assured that the changes that the school has made over the past months is meant to provide you with the competency you will need to pass your exams and not delay your progress to graduation any longer than necessary.

Effective May 11th, 2020

Second Semester Students will continue to be provided with the ability to meet their clinical hours through competency-based instruction using online lectures and videoconferencing. The physical clinical internship will be correlated with the individual hospitals as they allow students to their facility.

Fourth Semester Students will begin their clinical rotation using videoconferencing and  based assignments. Individual students will be allowed to begin their onsite internship as soon as the hospital opens their laboratory for students.

We will be scheduling a town hall meeting shortly and will notify you of the date and time. Please keep a watch on your message board within the Course Management System

Richard L Trader, MMsc PA-C FCCM

Director 

Institute of Health Sciences